This recipe is ALL about the chocolate! Orange zest is the “secret ingredient,” adding a sweet burst of citrus flavor without raising the glycemic index of the recipe.
Using four-ounce mason jars is the perfect way to grab and go when you’re hankering for a special treat. Enjoy!
¾ cup hazelnuts or almonds
3 tablespoons cocoa powder
2 tablespoons coconut oil, liquefied
2 Medjool dates
1-2 tablespoons orange zest
½ vanilla bean or 1 teaspoon extract
1/8 teaspoon salt
10 – 4 ounce mason jars
1 cup cashews, soaked and rinsed (soak for at least 4 hours)
½ cup chocolate hazelnut butter
½ cup coconut oil, warmed to liquid
½ cup almond milk
½ teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons coconut oil, warmed to liquid
2 tablespoons maple syrup
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
pinch of salt
Garnish: cacao nibs and orange zest
1) Process the hazelnuts into course flour.
2) Toss in remaining crust ingredients and give it a few pulses.
3) Using a small ice-cream/cookie scooper, divide evenly between small mason jars. Press firmly crust into cups.
1) Process cashews, nut butter, almond milk, syrup and salt until very smooth. Add water as needed to keep the blades turning. 2) Pour over crusts and set aside.
1) Gently melt ingredients in a bowl by placing it over a saucepan of simmering water.
1) Take cheesecake cups out of the freezer and pour the chocolate glaze across the top.
2) Return to freezer for at least 10 minutes to set.
Note: If you have the time, soak the nuts for the crust the day before and dehydrate over night. If you can’t find chocolate hazelnut butter, mix ¼ cup each: cacao powder, sweetener and nut butter of choice.